Beneficial Nematodes for Your Garden
Posted by Jill Yanus on
Beneficial nematodes: the good bugs.
Beneficial nematodes rank with ladybugs, earthworms, and other insects you want in your garden. These microscopic, unsegmented roundworms prey on more than 200 species of insects. Spraying beneficial nematodes on your lawn and garden is a natural and effective way to combat the harmful insects that wreak havoc with your landscape.
While these are roundworms, there is no evidence to support the idea that beneficial nematodes harm humans, pets, or other animals.
Three main beneficial nematodes species: Steinernema Carpocapsae, Steinernema Feltiae, Heterohabditis Bacteriophora.
Chapin's G362D Hose End Sprayer makes application easy.
- Soil temperature ranges from 45°F to 90°F and nighttime temperatures are no lower than 45°F
- Apply in early morning or evening, or on cloudy days
- Do not disperse in direct sunlight
- Ground must be moist before application
- Water area again after application to move nematodes from plant leaves into soil
- Water regularly
Whether packaged as a powder, sponge or gel nematodes are dissolved in water and may be dispersed using Chapin’s G362D hose end sprayer. Water pressure should not exceed 300 psi and it should be set to a coarse spray.
Remove the sprayer screen and filters before treatment.
Nematodes must be dispersed immediately after mixing with water.
The recommended ratio of nematodes to water varies by manufacturer. The solution should be agitated while being applied.
The size of the area that can be treated with a package of nematodes is determined by the quantity of organisms in millions of units. The application rate and coverage area may also be designated by the type of pest being controlled.
Follow the manufacturers recommended instructions regarding a second application, if needed. More frequent treatment may be necessary depending on the degree of infestation.
Share this post
- Tags: backyard garden, beneficial nematodes, chapin, Chapin G362D, chapin hose end sprayers, chapin international, chapin sprayers, G362D, gardening, homelife, nematodes, organic, organic gardening, outdoor life